Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Day 11 of the TIAS project is complete. I had to do some studying to make sure I was using the right shuttle and even took out the last lock chain and re-did it, but I think I have it right now. And look! Scissors! I'm in love. What a cute pattern, and a sweet little learning process to boot. I still have trouble with the very small picots, but I don't usually work in size 20 thread. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.)
I didn't make as much progress on Sunday as I had hoped, and after working on it again today I'm really frustrated with the Sine Wave bookmark. I don't know if I have misread the pattern, or if my tension is too loose, but it's just not coming together right. I'm definitely going to redo that last chain, though. I've told myself that I need to finish it, if nothing else so I can figure out how to change it for next time. But honestly, this is a very frustrating project. It's a pretty simple design and should look a whole lot better than it does.
Sunday I wangled this heirloom from my sister. It's yards and yards of Grandma Deck's tatting. The colors didn't photograph quite right, but it's a lovely variegated yellow and purple thread. There are some places where she obviously ran out of thread, tied on a new piece and kept on tatting. I suspect this was something she did in the evenings and her fingers just tatted along without her brain having to be involved. I'm struck by the evenness of the picots, the consistent spacing between rings, and the sheer quantity of it. I really wish I could have seen her tatting, but she lived too far away and I hardly knew her.

2 comments:

  1. I've never been able to tat that bookmark pattern correctly. It is pretty, but I seem to have a mental block with the pattern. Good for you, trying to make it work!

    I love the length of your grandma's tatting. What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I'm glad to hear someone else has had a problem with that bookmark! I think my plan of attack is going to involve enlarging the photo and comparing the stitch count with the pattern, as much as is possible. If I find any significant differences, I'll let you know. The only obvious thing I've seen so far is that the picots on the original are pretty big.

    ReplyDelete