Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Last Thursday was a "snow day" - 12 inches of snow fell, the schools closed, the City closed, I got to stay home. I had found an online tatting course that has a chat for beginners every Thursday, so I joined in. The lesson centered around reading tatting patterns. One of the samples looked rather interesting, so I printed it off and gave it a try tonight. The first thing I noticed was that the ring is so big that it was hard to hold onto the stitches when I got halfway done. The second thing was that closing the ring was very difficult; the stitches wanted to clump together and the core thread wouldn't slide. The third thing (after I finally got it closed) was that the ring was so big that it was floppy. No elegance at all. Now that I've taken a picture of it, I'm going to undo the ring and put the thread back onto the ball. It's all just a continuation of the class, and I did learn from it. That's the goal, right?
Lizbeth 129, size 10.

3 comments:

  1. Your observations about a large ring are spot on, Bridget ! However, generally such a ring is just the center for the ensuing rounds & hence both anchors as well as is anchored by the next rounds.
    And for a beginner/practice, the ring is very neatly & evenly tatted :-)

    I enjoyed reading all your posts & am adding your blog to my blog list .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Large rings can be difficult, and I find that I avoid patterns with large rings. However, they do have their place, as muskaan has said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was just a fragment of a pattern and I thought it would make an interesting circle. I may adjust the counts and try again sometime; I like the shape.

    ReplyDelete